How to Pick the Right Stethoscope for Medical Students?
While most medical students encounter their very own stethoscope in the first year of Physiology class, the thrill of owning this diagnostic equipment that distinctly identifies doctors is something that most medical students remember for their entire career. Apart from being a momentous occasion, it is also a tedious task to select the right stethoscope during medical school as the various options and specifications available often confuse students.
There are various criteria that affect the selection of the stethoscope. While most undergraduate students usually use a moderately priced stethoscope whilst they advance their ausculatory and diagnostic skills, postgraduate students generally require more sophisticated and expensive stethoscopes that not only serve as an investment for a number of years but also significantly assist them in their area of practice. At the same time, a resident with more experience would prefer a high-quality stethoscope not only for the superior sound quality but also the comfort it provides with prolonged use. Most students prefer to start with an affordable stethoscope and upgrade it as they are familiarized with the art of auscultation with experience. The choice of stethoscope also depends upon whether the student requires a stethoscope for the scope of medical school and postings or wants to invest in an expensive and durable stethoscope at the very beginning of their career.
Ideally, a stethoscope should be purchased after keeping in mind several parameters such as key features, usability, durability, weight and price. With established brands such as 3M Littmann offering a wide variety of colours and finishes in stethoscopes, aesthetics can also be considered after the fundamental specifications have been finalized upon.
Littmann is every healthcare practitioner’s first choice when it comes to stethoscopes because it’s quality is unmatched. Most established doctors recommend Littmann to budding doctors as the reliability and acoustic quality is unparalleled.
- Littmann Classic III Stethoscope – This stethoscope is widely used by medical students and physicians and is the latest version in the Classic range. It’s dual head design is what makes it a great investment as it can be used for both paediatric and adult auscultation. The tuneable diaphragm on adult and paediatric side, improved tubing, and acoustic quality make it a great stethoscope for physical assessment and diagnosis. Littmann Classic III is one of the most popular Littman stethoscopes amongst medical students due to its acoustic quality and entry-level price. It has resilient tubing which is unlikely to pick up stains increasing the life of the stethoscope making it a great investment. The Littmann Classic III Stethoscope is available in a wide array of colours such as Burgundy, Caribbean Blue, Orange, Plum, Grey, Lavender, etc. and special finishes such as Rainbow, All Black, Copper and Smoke finish.
- Littmann Cardiology IV– This is one of those stethoscopes that’s going to help you in medical school and continue to add tremendous value by the time you’re a practicing physician. It is an upgrade to the Cardiology III range and is specifically tailored for physical assessment and cardiac diagnosis with features such as a versatile chest piece that provides single piece tuneable diaphragm and open bell, latex free tubing and better audibility of high frequency sounds. Littmann Cardiology IV also comes in various colours and finishes such as Black, Burgundy, Caribbean Blue, Hunter Green, Navy Blue, Plum, Raspberry, and Turquoise to suit every personality.
- Littmann Classic II Infant / Paediatric – The Littmann Classic II Infant and Paediatric Stethoscope is designed for superior assessment of Infant and Paediatric patients. The Classic II Infant Stethoscope comes with a floating diaphragm and open bell, single lumen tubing and a non-chill rim make it a stethoscope that’s ideal for medical students to assess infants. It enables the medical student to hear even the most delicate sounds due to its acoustic sensitivity. It is available in a wide variety of tube colours including Black, Raspberry, Caribbean Blue, Orange, Red, Royal Blue, Pearl pink and Raspberry with Rainbow Finish.
While the experience and expertise of the person owning the stethoscope has a major role to play, a good stethoscope will always make the diagnosis easier. Consciously investing in a stethoscope that suits the requirements of the medical student helps the students hone their skills better while acquiring proficiency that will help them throughout their career. Auscultation is a clinical skill that help a medical student diagnose a wide range of pathologies based of heart, lung and bowel sounds. Stethoscopes which don’t miss a single sound result in a more accurate diagnosis which not only saves time but also reduces the stress that comes with unclear auscultation.
Why Should Students Buy a Littmann Stethoscope?
Investing in a 3M Littmann Stethoscope is one of most sensible choices a medical student can make. Littmann has been a pioneer in superior quality stethoscopes and has introduced many revolutionary features such as ambient noise reduction, tunable diaphragms as well as Bluetooth connectivity. They are the gold standard for stethoscopes due to their performance and design making them the most preferred choice of any clinician.
- A good quality stethoscope would help the student pick up even the most delicate sounds which would often go unnoticed in a stethoscope of inferior quality. Littmann Stethoscopes have been proven to be four times louder than other stethoscopes making them the most superior stethoscopes for acoustic quality.
- Littmann Stethoscopes have a flexible tubing resisting any kinks or bends. The tube flexes with ease during a clinical examination.
- They offer symmetrical ear tubes which provide ideal seal and comfort, enabling a student to make multiple assessments and diagnosis without any discomfort during the clinical postings.
- These stethoscopes are adjustable as the headset tension can be increased by squeezing the ear tubes together and decreased by pulling the ear tubes apart.
- Investing in the right stethoscope during medical student would minimize the expenditure on upgrading to a better one later in the career. A student who has honed their acoustic skills on a superior quality stethoscope wouldn’t need to upgrade their stethoscope every few years.
- The material and construction of Littmann Stethoscopes is highly durable and resistant to stains and damage. Their latex-free tubing makes them a safer option for students and their patients.
- Furthermore, Littmann Stethoscopes are all supplies with a long global warranty. This ensures that you get prompt service and repairs in case you were to encounter a problem with your stethoscope.
- Littmann Stethoscopes are available in a variety of colours and finishes. Students no longer need to carry a boring grey or black stethoscope when they have a wide array of colours available. Since stethoscope is such a personalized diagnostic tool, it only makes sense to invest in something aesthetically pleasing and suited to one’s personality.
A stethoscope is a highly personalized item and it takes years of experience to master auscultation. Most physicians and medical students consider their stethoscopes as a prized possession hence engraving a stethoscope is common practice. Not only does engraving reduce the chances of theft and loss of the stethoscope, it also gives the stethoscope more personalization.
Students should always keep in mind that while buying a stethoscope, they are determining the proficiency of their acoustic skills and their ability to diagnose pathologies effectively. An investment in the right stethoscope is an important decision in the medical career of the student and having a good head start can make a huge difference as the medical students advances towards a career in medicine.
Latest posts by Kunal Sood (see all)
- These Factors Determine How Fast Your Wound Will Heal - 21st April 2018
- What to Expect at Your First Urologist Appointment - 17th April 2018
- How to Avoid Getting Sick During Seasonal Change - 10th April 2018