Venipuncture: 9 Medical Equipment You Will Require For The Procedure
While drawing a blood sample, a phlebotomy technician requires a variety of equipment. All of this equipment must be gathered and prepared well before time, so that it is perfectly organised and ready to be used without a hassle. A large number of instruments are needed, but the most common ones have been mentioned below. From a 2 ml syringe to a tourniquet, almost every instrument will be available online.
- Needles: Needles are the most important components for venipuncture. The gauge of a needle indicates its size. A smaller gauge number means a large needle bore. There are a variety of needles available, with evacuated systems or a syringe. Further, they are available in both single draw and the butterfly system.
- Holder or adapter: The holder comes into use with the evacuated withdrawing system.
- Tourniquet: The tourniquet must be placed three to four inches above the puncture site and should not be too tight. It must not be left on for more than two minutes. If it is left on for more than two minutes, it should be removed and replaced in order to avoid haemoconcentration. Once removed, it must be replaced only after two minutes.
- Alcohol wipes: These wipes use 70% isopropyl alcohol.
- Syringes: Syringes can be used in place of the evacuated collection system in some cases.
- Povidone: Iodine wipes must only be used if a blood culture is being drawn.
- Gauze sponges: Gauze is applied on the puncture site after the needle is removed. The gauze must be pressed down upon the site to prevent haematoma.
- Evacuated collection tubes: These tubes have a pre-set volume of blood that can be put into them using the evacuated settings. They may be colour-coded to show the different additives and coatings applied to them.
- Adhesive bandages or tape: Tape and bandage are applied to the puncture site after the needle has been removed and extra blood has been controlled with the gauze.
- Needle disposal unit: Needles must be placed in the disposal unit immediately after the collection and cannot be broken or recapped.
- Gloves: Gloves made of latex, rubber or vinyl are important to protect both the patient and technician from pathogens that can be passed on through blood.
To buy equipment such as a scalp vein set, log on to Smart Medical Buyer, an online platform that deals in surgical instruments and medical consumables.
Latest posts by Kunal Sood (see all)
- Protect Yourself From Poor Air Quality: Ways To Deal With Pollution - 4th November 2019
- Delhi Becoming A Gas Chamber: Reasons And How You Can Help Curb It - 2nd November 2019
- 4 Must-Have Veterinary Instruments - 22nd October 2019