Osteoarthritis changes the way you lead your life; every physical activity becomes a challenge. The hard part is the realization that you are going to have to adjust to these problems. For the easy part, it can be managed with a few changes in your lifestyle. Apart from comparing the flamingo knee cap price online on your doctor’s advice, you can adapt your diet, start exercising, and modify your domestic life to regain some control over your body.
- Reduce calorie intake – keeping your weight in check will surely keep your knees stronger. Lose extra weight to relieve the joints from extra stress. Logically, you might not be able to strain yourself; alternatively, cut down on the calories. Avoid extra sugar in drinks and foods and reduce the portions. Adopt a plant-based diet.
- Fruit up your life – eat all the fruit and the vegetables you can. Antioxidants in them preserve the cells against damage. Foods like strawberries, shallots, onions are known to reduce inflammation, and therefore pain.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – they reduce inflammation in your body and relieve joint pain and decrease morning stiffness.
- Vitamin C – plays an important role in keeping the joints healthy since it builds connective tissue and collagen. Go for red peppers, cabbage, strawberries, kale, etc.
- Cooking temperatures – high cooking temperatures cause inflammation in the body that lead to diabetes, heart disease, and arthritis. If you like your meats, cut down on fried, grilled, microwaved meats to reduce the level of advanced glycation end levels.
Work outExercising is an integral part of fighting osteoarthritis. You may begin with low-impact aerobics, muscle building, range of motion exercises. Look for special exercise programs but stay away from high-intensity sports. It will do you good to look for a good physical therapist who will chart a daily exercise program to relieve pain, joint protection, and improving body mechanics. After discussing with your doctor, start exercising under the supervision of a trainer or a therapist. You may:
- Begin with stretching your limbs and a range-of-motion exercise. Start strengthening exercises with light weights. Make sure that you progress gradually
- Inculcating aerobics helps considerably. Moreover, consider recreational activities like swimming that are therapeutic in nature. Precede them with the previously mentioned activities
- Use a heating pad on sore joints or cold packs on inflamed areas. You may choose between the one that suits you better. If you witness constant pain (redness and inflammation in joints) while exercising, reduce the intensity or duration, and discuss it with your doctor/therapist.
- Finally, choose an exercise regimen that suits you and practice it daily
Home RemediesYou need to be prepared for a situation when you might not be able to cope up. So, you can:
- Get shoe inserts of braces if you have problems standing up
- Get your drawers fixed so that you do not need to exert excessive force
- Position the pillows so that they support your neck and back
- If heat helps you with inflammation, take warm baths to improve circulation